Monday, April 12, 2010

Mulch Ado About Nothing

This was my plan for the day.

Then the plan changed.

Last time I mulched the hostas, wherever the mulch touched hosta leaves, the leaves turned yellow and died. So now I place buckets over the plants, mulch away, and then pull the buckets.
I had help.



Pull the buckets, remove debris...

You find lots of interesting things in the hostas....
Glow sticks...

Bones...

Toothpaste...

The enemy...

Convallaria majalis.... Lily-of-the-Valley

Very toxic!

So while I was mulching, the children were playing outside in the fresh air and sunshine...
And using their solar cooker to set the yard on fire!!



At first, I threw the proper parenting fit about playing with fire, and burning down the neighbor's woods.
Then I taught them how to clear the area, and use large rocks to ring the fire. I made sure they had water nearby, and a shovel.

Then I went back and mulched the side yard.
Of course, after all that, the fire wasn't 'fun' anymore,
so they put it out and went on to some other project.

I checked on my Weeping Peach tree...



And then was called away by the Redbuds...

No comments:

Post a Comment