Saturday, July 10, 2010

Shut Up and Sing

The one thing Ron wanted for his birthday was a group of us heading up to Pittsburgh, going to Sing Sing, and staying in a hotel.
We worked hard to grant that wish.


You'd think after 22 years, we'd have traveling together down to a science. But this is obviously not the case. When we travel, instead of using his own toiletry bag, Ron puts a toothbrush in my bag. I tell him, "Okay, now you have a toothbrush in my bag." and the next time we travel, he grabs yet another toothbrush. So I now have a collection of Ron's toothbrushes- most used for only a day or two- in my bag.

We were five, in our van going to Pittsburgh. Four others were in the second car, and two more met us there.
As soon as we got to the hotel, I began setting up the bar...
Which quickly grew...
What you don't see is all the stuff in the refrigerators!

Munchies as far as the eye can see!

Let the snacking begin!

My brother enjoying the view of the Hot Metal Bridge, from our room.
Once we were all way too drunk to give Mary Ellen proper directions to the hotel
"I don't know... We are by the river! Look by the river!"
much less operate a motor vehicle, we all hopped into the Leaf Van, driven by the ever-patient Max- oh, wait... Mike rode with the famous "Hot Nicaraguan" Oscar, who was sober because he's training for a marathon- and we all went to Sing Sing.

Our server, "Autumn, like the season", who has been at Sing Sing since it first opened in ... 2003?

Let's get this party started!

Birthday Boy

Mary Ellen's DD - Designated Date- for the evening, his friends call him Tuna.





We even got Ron up on stage to do the Hokey Pokey with fellow birthday guests.

It started innocently enough...

And went from there...



As the evening became the 2am, we headed back to the hotel in shifts.


By 4am, everyone was asleep.

"Yes, I do need them all!"

Even though I shared the bed with Ron, I still managed to make the patented "Lisa's Nesting Pod" out of all the pillows.

In the morning...
The sun was shining brightly, and there's nothing like an early morning jogger to make your hangover that much more punishing.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RON!!

(oh, sorry... 'Happy birthday, Ron!' )

1 comment:

  1. Ugh...I just typed this long response and it went bye-bye (our internet is acting up).

    Looks like you guys had a great time! I was really (REALLY) bummed we couldn't go, but hopefully this can become a yearly thing and we can make it next time. I gotta ask, though...where oh where was my "Shitweasel" text??? Don't tell me you were too drunk for that. You should have it on speed dial by now!

    (BTW, Dylan is a notorious pillow nest builder. He has a wide variety of pillows in various sizes and shapes on his bed. He sleeps on them all every night! He steals all our pillows when we stay at a hotel and your bed reminded me of that, lol)

    ReplyDelete