Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Bambakophobia

n- The fear of cotton, whether it's touching, or the 'squeak' emitted when fabric is rubbed... it is, apparently, unbearable.

The following is an actual diatribe screeched out by an actual child, in my actual bedroom while I put on actual socks.

"Don't!! Don't rub your foot! Not with a sock on it! Oh my god! The sound! I can't stand that!! How can you stand that?! Nooooo!! Please! Stop! No, I don't! I wish there was a way you could put socks on without touching them with your hands! Or having them touch your feet! Socks, being dragged across feet- Aaaauuuggghhh!! I hate you! Yes, all socks! Well, your socks! And towels! I can't use a towel. A towel, touching me, on my skin! Oh my god!! And a basket full of towels, when you pull one out, the squeak! I can't. I just can't!!! A towel?! On my foot?! Stop. Stop talking. STOP TALKING!! No! I'm going to throw up!! It's the rubbing!! OH MY GOD I HATE YOUUUUUUU!!"

4 comments:

  1. I have a similar problem with nails dragging on woven fabrics. Such as seat belts, Or anything with a crossing pattern that will make that zip sound. It makes my spine crawl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to get that -- mostly when I took long baths and got "pruny" and got out and tried to dry off. The feel of that cotton towel on my hands was un-nerving....

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know i feel the same way about socks when they been on too long and when the clothes been in the dryer too long i cant deal with it or touch it!!!i hate it but theres certain things i cant touch and i would like to know what i can do about it??? it all started since i was a little girl i bit into one of my favorite child hood toys and the cotton grinded in between my teeth and now i got to deal with this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came across your post when I was trying to find a name for my problem, I can't stand when socks are rubbed together or dragged along a rough carpet, I cringe so much inside. I thought I was the only one but after reading this it seems very similar, I don't think I have a phobia of cotton for I don't mind wearing cotton clothes it's just socks and I don't know why, I just hate it I could scream!!!!

    ReplyDelete