Friday, December 10, 2010

Cold Night, Warm Dreams

I went to bed last night freezing cold. As I shivered in my bed, I assumed I'd have dreams of freezing to death in an ice cave. Instead, I drifted off thinking about happiness, warmth, and new life.
In my dream I was hired to work in a house full of college kids, I was expected to live there and cook for them. I made them lasagna and they worshiped me. They ate it all. They were scraping the pan. I made them cinnamon rolls for breakfast. The pan-scraping noises were music to my ears. I began to think of all the things I could cook for them. Most of my dream was spent chopping vegetables, stewing meats, boiling pasta, standing in this big kitchen in my "I Child-Proofed My House, But They Still Get In" apron, flour on the side of my nose from dusting cake tins.
I baked them cookies and I made up cheese & veggie trays for late night study sessions. I steamed rice for stir-fry, and made extra for rice pudding in the morning.
People would stop in a grab a bite of cheese, a cookie, or a black olive. They'd tell me about their day, and I'd laugh at funny stories, while rolling out the crust for a chicken pot pie.
It was a good dream. I woke up afterwards, warm and happy.

3 comments:

  1. just wanted you to know that I saw your blog url on a vehicle in a parking lot this evening and you now have another regular reader. Nice post (and the one about squeaky cotton made me LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  2. you need a job in a soup kitchen or working for meals on wheels you will surely feel appreciated then

    ReplyDelete