Thursday, December 30, 2010

Take Cover

You may remember the last time I got Ideas When I Was Sober.
Well I've had a brief spell of sobriety yet again, and I think these ideas will really fly.

My first idea : 'Breastfeeding in Public' Cover-ups.
This may seem confusing because
a. These already exist, and
b. I'm a staunch supporter of open breastfeeding, and cringe when I hear phrases such as, "I think it's ok to breastfed in public, as long as you are discreet and don't show anything.".



I like to remind those folks that some countries allow women in public, too, as long as they are 'discreet and don't show anything'.

[A cover-up is an attempt, whether successful or not, to conceal evidence of wrong-doing, error, incompetence or other embarrassing information.]

Oh, and start them young; because even make-believe breastfeeding is shameful and must be hidden.

But that's not the kind of cover-up I'm thinking about.
I realized that the majority of these "discreet breastfeeders" were somewhat overweight, and more than once I heard the comment that they were more afraid of someone glimpsing their big stretch-marky belly than their breasts, while breastfeeding.
Another woman told me, "I don't have the right kind of breasts to breastfeed in public."
She didn't mean that her breasts did not lactate in the presence of others, but that they were 'real' breasts: saggy, with stretch marks and a road map of blue veins running over the surface. Perfect for infant nutrition and snuggling, not so desired on a billboard or cover of a 'sophisticated magazine'.
So I was inspired.
You may already be familiar with these swimsuit cover-ups?
Same concept, only for nursing cover-ups!
Here is a basic white cover-up you can buy anywhere:



















Here is the same cover-up printed with perky breasts, and happy baby.
No post-baby whale belly showing.
Just beautiful breastfeeding.







Here is one of the 'fantasy' covers, mostly for fun, or that special night out. Great for single moms, too!

















Celebrity items are always a hit.

Jerry Hall...




































Lucy Lawless...








































Cover-ups for moms of twins...















and blacktating women...





















And since we are all about equality, I haven't forgotten you breastfeeding dads! Hide that beer belly with this fantastic Milkman Cover-up!
The Milkman Cover-up also works to prevent stains on your shirt (or infant!) while eating wings.


























We seem to have run out of time.
Tomorrow I will explore another fantastic idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment