Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Aunticipation

"My brother is getting married. I'm going to be Aunt Lisa.
I never thought I'd be an Aunt."

"Tell them I said congratulations!"

"Them? This has nothing to do with them! Did you hear me say AUNT LISA? I'm 41. I never thought this would happen!"

"Yeah, you're getting up there."

"It seems like such a cool gig. I'll be the best Aunt ever!"

"Yeah, unlike your parenting..."

"He's little. I'm good with that age. It will be ok."

"Until he turns 13."

"Yeah, I totally suck at teen parenting, but maybe teen aunting is something at which I excel?"

"There's always that hope."

2 comments:

  1. Being an aunt/uncle of a teen is much, much better than being a parent. After more than ten years of repression by a parent, almost any comment or suggestion could set a teen off on a tirade. However, that same comment or suggestion coming from an aunt/uncle just might make it through the "parent filter" and actually have a positive effect. So long as it doesn't sound too much like something the repressive parent might say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, you get to do funny things like pull out a dusty old Rubik's cube from the 80's and bet your niece money that she can't solve it.

    ReplyDelete