Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Save Me, San Francisco (part four)

We drove to Yosemite, past tan furry hills and reservoirs, and cows. Herds of deer so big you can't count them with your eyes. I wondered if that's what WV would look like if someone suddenly picked up all the trees.

Yosemite... gorgeous, yes. It was also raining, and cold, and my poncho hood wouldn't stay on my head. It hung off the back of my shoulders, choking me and, I was unaware, filling up with rain water. When my hair was dripping water down my face, I finally got frustrated and pulled my hood up. This dumped 2 quarts of icy cold rain water down the back of my shirt collar.
"Where does this get fun?!" I sighed, and could see my breath in front of me.
I was cold, miserable, and all the waterfalls made me really have to pee.
It was too foggy to see the tops of the mountains. It was just rain and woods.
At home, we stay inside when that happens.





The deer here are tiny. Much smaller than the white-tail at home, almost souvenir size. Look at those eyes!

The rain and cold wilted me. I went from this...

to this.



Then something amazing happened. We went to our hotel room! By the time we pulled up, it was 40 degrees. No internet, no cell phone reception, and on the outside it didn't look so special, but it would get me out of the rain, so I was happy.
Inside the room, there was
a king size bed,
two club chairs,
a kitchen, a fireplace.
The bathroom had a large jetted tub with two showers, on opposite ends of the tub. While all of this was fantastic, the money shot was out the back door to the room.

Wow!


We were starving, and went next door and ordered a gourmet pizza, then sat at the bar at the restaurant while it was baking. Ron had a long island iced tea, and I had their specialty drink, The Utopia. Utopia is another word for "gets you intoxicated if drank on an empty stomach". The young guy next to us was on his second beer, and had ordered two shots of whiskey. He was drinking alone. I wanted to find out his story, but our pizza was ready and we had to go.
Back at the room, we flipped through all like, five channels, and ended up watching Frasier. The episode was To Kill a Talking Bird, it's the one where Niles gets a bird stuck on his head. And while laughing my ass off, I realized that Niles is the original Sheldon (Big Bang Theory).
The next morning, I got up and sat on our private porch/deck/balcony and ate pizza.
A squirrel came up and licked the pizza I offered, but turned it down. If he was anything like myself, he was holding out for chocolate.


The sun was shining, and there was talk of it getting up to 50 degrees! We were off, to Glacier Point and Mariposa Grove.

No comments:

Post a Comment