Thursday, April 9, 2009

Women Love To Get Flours

I was up early this morning with a tight schedule.
While baking cornbread for the Learning Out Loud co-op potluck lunch, I put Beth's gluten-free bread, cookie and pizza mixes into the van, and collated my print-outs for the Well-Behaved Women Rarely Make History class I was teaching at 10:30am.
On the way to Fairmont, I also had to pick up Scott, an oft-moody homeschooling teen, as well as drop Sadie off at one of the dorms so she could hang out with her friend. Counting backwards, and taking into consideration traffic, construction, and the nature of my family, the drop-dead time to leave the house was 9:30am.
The cornbread was done at 9:27am. I packed it and the kids up, and we were out the door by 9:36am.
Picking Scott up was easy, as I followed the path of green lights to his door. I started to get overconfident, though, and when I drove Sadie to the dorm, it seemed like everyone and their college-aged brother was also meeting a friend at the dorm, and we sat through three lights just trying to turn left. By the time we dropped Sadie off, we had 18 minutes to get to Fairmont. I turned to Scott, sitting in the Death Seat, and asked,
"How fast does your mom drive on the interstate?"

With great tunes cranked up on the radio, we raced to the Learning Center, and arrived at 10:36am. Exactly one hour from our departure time.
Some even said I was early.

At the end of the day, I called Beth to tell her that I had a surprise waiting for her at the Learning Center, and she could pick it up whenever. I gave a few other kids a ride to the park and collected the rest of mine. I was also giving Scott a ride home. Sadie called and asked if I could give her and her friend a ride home from the mall.
I dropped Scott off at his house, and drove the long way around to get to the mall, rather than fight town traffic again.
After picking the teens up, I had no choice but to fight town traffic to drop the friend off at the dorm. That was okay, because I had to stop by Stephanie's, anyway.

(Stephanie is my walking buddy, and one day we were discussing those shorts some girls wear that have the word "HOTTIE" on the ass. I told her that I wanted to make a pair similar that read "HAUGHTY" instead.
She thought that was a fantastic idea.

So, while my walking buddy is post-op [and I'm left walking with no one but my Shadow Goddess], I thought I'd cheer her up by making her the "HAUGHTY" shorts, for when she can come back to the track.)

She doesn't live far from the dorm, so we stopped there right after dropping off Sadie's friend. Stephanie loved the shorts.
It turned out Stephanie's teen son and his friend were needing a ride.
(sigh... "Hop in!")
And we were off.
After dropping those teens at their destination, I was tired, and wanting to be home. My cell phone rang- what now?!- and it was Beth (cue "Beth", by Kiss, haha!).

She was calling to thank me for the flours.

No comments:

Post a Comment