Sunday, October 4, 2009

Halloween Decor 2009

The console table in the kitchen. We actually use this table to hold our cd's and the radio, and a basket of cloth napkins, so all had to be incorporated into the theme. I bought wooden bookends from goodwill for $3/pr to hold the cd's. For my birthday, I had received a teacup candle in a small hatbox. Ron painted the hatbox black for me, to help create the black and white pumpkin display. Skeleton hands were a gift from my sister. The white 'snakeskin-looking' material under the objects is actually perforated paper that came in a shipping box

Shown here with basket of napkins and tealight candles.

Harrison couldn't wait to start playing with the Halloween stuff in the box.

This large skull was $20 at the local party store. I bought it at Michael's for less than half of that! Harrison added the eyes. The skull is now resting in the front flowerbed, by the fountain.


Harrison took it a step further and added smaller skulls for eyes.

Dresser in the living room. There's a lot going on, here. I'll highlight a few items. First, the lamp. The shade was already torn and peeling, so I just ripped it off and strung 'spider webbing' on it. The framed art on the left was a birthday gift, and the large glass cloche was an anniversary gift.

A small jar of actual teeth that have come out of my children.

Perhaps the scariest thing on the dresser- all the casts, impressions, palate-expanders, and retainers from Sadie, Paige, and Tess.

Clipped to the lamp is a laser-cut picture that was part of a christmas card sent to me about 15 years ago. I paired it with a stray 5x7 mat, and let the light from the lamp do the rest.

Leather boxes, Walmart and Michael's clearance aisles, and print by Eddie Spaghetti. Life-size skull, eBay find, 3/ $10.

The print was something I found online and played with, printed out on vellum, and put it in a discount frame that I got for $3 because it had no glass. Spider came from the Michael's trinket bin, 2/ $1. Glass cloche was a $1 vase to which I glued a cabinet knob. Bird nest and eggs found in the floral department of Michael's.

Some of you may remember Suzie Q, carved from an apple last year. Cloche is a $.50 votive holder. Base is a $.50 terracotta tray, painted black.

Large glass cloche was a gift from my sister. On the knob are two silver anklets, given as a baby gift by a friend from Thailand. I was told that Thai babies wear them and the attached bells tell the mothers where the babies are in the house. All of my babies had very fat legs, and so the "baby cowbell" idea didn't work out. Inside the cloche is a wax casting of Harrison's hand, and two interesting moths he found outside, already dead.

The next part is the fireplace mantle. Here we have gargoyles, crows, spider venom, and branches Tess brought in from outside. This is obviously a before photo. I will post a completed shot soon.

2 comments:

  1. It's like a halloween museum. Very cool! But how is Susie Q not moldy?

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie Q never got green around the edges, but if she had, I would have popped her in a warm oven for a couple hours. Once she was fully-dried out, I kept her under glass. She looks good for being a year old!

    ReplyDelete