Tuesday, February 9, 2010

God That's Good

When Wired magazine came out with What's Inside for Hostess Lemon Pies, my brother and I read it and we both said, "I still want one!"

I love those things!
Today I had a craving for one, and decided to make them myself and see if I could make them delicious, but without so many chemicals.
I had seen something on tv about using vodka instead of water, to make a pie crust, and figured this was as good a time as any to try it out. I dumped flour into a bowl, added a stick of butter, and cut it in. I added half a cup of citrus vodka, and before adding more, decided to look up a recipe.

Of course, none of the recipes for Vodka Pie Crust had "dump a bunch of flour in a bowl" as a step. I had between two and four cups of flour, with a stick of butter cut in. None of those measurements lined up with the recipes I found. I gave up on the recipe and just added another half cup of vodka.
The recipes all said to wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 45 minutes, or up to two days.
Instead, I set the bowl out on the back deck, in the snow, and got on facebook.
An hour later, I started rolling out little circles, and putting the lemon filling in. I put them in the oven on 400, and took them out when they looked like pies, tarts, turnovers, etc.
I brushed them with a glaze made from powdered sugar and water.


And everyone agrees... these are amazing!!
Best lemon pies they've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment