Thursday, March 26, 2009

Cracked

cracked (krākt)
adj.
1. Broken so that fissures appear on the surface: a cracked mirror.
2. Mentally deranged; crazy.

Yesterday was a crazy day.
I woke up at 9:36am, and was supposed to leave at 9:45am to have the kids at a tour of the local Pepperoni Roll Bakery at 10am.
We couldn't make it out of the house in ten minutes if the house was on
fire!
Even after quickly ushering the children (half-dressed and unfed) into the van, we still arrived at 10:30am. The tour was just wrapping up, so we were given our own private tour by Pepperoni Roll Bakery manager Jamie.
At the end of the tour, each kid was given a pepperoni roll. Score! (Breakfast? Check!)


After our pepperoni roll adventure, we raced to the Songbird Learning Center to help with the pies. Our group had sold 222 pies for a fund-raiser, and they were scheduled to arrive at noon, and would need unloaded and sorted into piles.
We arrived at the Learning Center at 11:15am. The delivery van arrived at 11:30am, half an hour early!
We unloaded, checked, rechecked the pies, and began sorting them.
Then Maggie arrived (whew!) and it went much faster.


222 Pies


Coconut Cream Pie


Peach Raspberry Pie

After the pies were sorted, we sped back to Morgantown for the kids' afternoon classes. During the kids classes, I walked on the track and watched the pole vaulters.

As soon as the classes were over, I was driving back to the house to grab a quick shower and head back out to the Songbird Learning Center, for a board meeting.
At the board meeting, Bob used a purple pen to draw a hot, aggressive chicken on the agenda for Maggie, and wrote the word "Blog?" next to it, for me.
So, here ya go, Bob.

I never said it would make sense.

After the meeting, I headed back to Morgantown. It was a dark and rainy night. As I passed a semi, I heard what sounded like a gunshot. I was startled, but managed to keep it on the road. It turned out that a rock (?) was thrown up into my windshield, on the passenger side. Under the street lights, I saw that the windshield was cracked.


The crack, right after it happened

As I drove home, and hit little bumps along the way, it grew, spreading out like an enormous spider.

This morning

So while yesterday was an incredibly busy day, today will be staying home, waiting for the windshield guy to call me back, and getting ready for Harrison's birthday party tomorrow.

Update:
I just got off the phone with the windshield guy. He needed to set up a time and get directions.
In the 15 minutes I was on the phone with him, I learned: His age and the year he was born, where he was born and raised, how long he has been repairing/ replacing windshields, where and when he will vacation this year, and what kinds of toys he has in his garage.
I did not ask him a single question the entire time I was on the phone with him.

2 comments:

  1. So I guess sometimes you need nudging to blog? good to know...

    I get very upset actually when I'm in a bad mood and go to check if you have a new blog and NOTHING! for days sometimes...

    You need to think about more than just yourself Lisa...sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How selfish of me! I should really think more about my reader's needs! I'll try to do better, in my copious free time, haha!

    ReplyDelete