Saturday, March 28, 2009

Party On (Harrison's Video Game Party)


Harrison as Mario.

The decorations were... absent. I did not decorate for this party. I had vision of huge Space Invaders coming down the walls, and life-size Tetris blocks setting around, but in the end, I skipped all that and focused on the costumes and cake.
Which I bought from the store.
Yes, I bought a cake from the store.
Within five minutes of ordering the cake, the messages began pouring in from concerned friends.
"You bought a cake?"
"You're getting a store bought cake?"
"Are you feeling okay?"
"Is there anything wrong?"
"I feel like I don't know you anymore!"
"Who stole you and replaced you with a bad clone?"
I had called the store and asked if I could order a plain, rectangular cake, colored black.
Cake Lady: "We can't do that."

Me: "Yes, you can. I can, so I know you can."

CL: "It won't work. The icing will be too runny."

Me: "So spray-paint it."

CL: "It will take too much to turn the white frosting black."

Me: "So, start with chocolate frosting, and paint it black."

CL: "We can't do that."

Me: "Why not?"

CL: "We... just can't."

I could almost hear the unspoken, "So there!" floating between us.
In the end, I picked up the cake, and it was perfect.
It faded over the day to a dusty gray-ish blue; a great color for the Pac Man board.



I used blue twizzlers, mentos, gummi-cherries, finger jello for the ghosties, and made the pacman out of fondant I tinted yellow.



Cooking Mama and Ayane

















Wolverine and DDR's Alice

I was having so much fun at the party that I completely forgot to take more pictures.
If you have some you'd like to share, please email them to me, and I'll put them up!

We had the Wii, the Xbox, and Playstation 2 available for our guests. The weather was warm, so people could go outside.
Some guests were even able to curl up in quiet corners and read the Brotherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment