Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Compost Doesn't Work That Way

Months ago, my daughter wanted a pet, and I told her that if she could keep a houseplant alive for one year, I'd consider a small pet.

We went to the store and picked out a plant that died shortly after being placed in her room. This summer, she set the pot (dead plant and all) out on the deck and the plant came back, and bloomed beautifully. And then promptly died again!

Ever hopeful, my daughter brought the dead plant in before the frost and put it by the window, but this time it seems determined to remain dead.
I have allowed the plant to stay in my dining room, because I, too, am hopeful it's just dormant.

My daughter was cleaning out the fridge recently and tossed out a bunch of produce that was well past its prime. I assumed it was tossed over the hill, or fed to the rats, but apparently she decided to compost it, in an unusual fashion- she dumped it in the flowerpot that contains her dead plant!



No comments:

Post a Comment