Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ron Channels the Church Lady

Between us, Ron and I have a fairly extensive music collection.
My love of the oldies (50's and 60's), plus all my pop, disco, alternative, punk, folk, movie soundtracks, and country combined well with Ron's enormous classic rock collection as well as artists I'd never heard before, like Hazel O'Connor, Joan Armatrading, and David Sanborn. He showed me The Wall, Tommy, and Heavy Metal. (Strangely, I already owned the soundtrack to Heavy Metal. I'd received it as a birthday gift, but had never seen the movie.)
I opened his eyes to Prince's funk, and the 'folk and blues' sounds of Tracy Chapman. I also helped him learn to appreciate familiar artists he'd never given a second thought to, such as Tom Petty, John Mellencamp, and Meatloaf.

Suggestive lyrics were part and parcel of the whole music appreciation experience. Prince, AC/DC, Aerosmith... hell, even George Michael released songs that made some people nervous.
In the early years, we must have listened to The Doors version of Gloria a thousand times.

So imagine my shock when Ron came home from work the other day and announced,
"On the way home, there was a Nickelback song on the radio, and those lyrics were just filthy!"

Where is my husband?
And why am I suddenly married to a Dana Carvey character?

No comments:

Post a Comment