Saturday, January 17, 2009

Court Jester Hat Cake- The Joke Is On Me!

I have a reputation among my children as a "Taker-Overer". Whatever plans they come up with, I tend to hijack them, and make them bigger, faster, better than they ever thought possible.
So when my 12 yr old daughter was having her Crazy Hat Party, she had the idea for me to make a cake in the shape of a court jester's hat. I immediately began sketching my plans for this amazing cake, complete with edible bells.

My 13 yr old daughter muttered under her breath, "She's taking over again..."

Realizing I was, I turned to the Birthday Girl, "Okay, what did you have in mind?"
I promised to follow her directions as closely as I could, and everyone else laughed their heads off.

Now determined to
prove to my kids that I could do something for them without going crazy with it, I took my daughter to the store and we bought the items she suggested to make this cake- waffle cones, blow-pops, gold dust.... I did very well to keep my mouth shut and follow her lead.
Back home, the baking, assembling, and decorating of the cake went surprisingly well. The finished product actually looked enough like a court jester hat that I was proud of my daughter for coming up with it, and even more proud of myself for not taking over this time.


Overnight, the cake changed. Gravity and moisture in the air took over.
It drooped, it sagged, and the blow-pops fell out.

In the morning light, the cake looked completely different, and entirely inappropriate for a child's birthday party.
The three waffle-cone shapes now looked very phallic, even with their fringe.



I'm dying to perform surgery on this cake and make it a court jester beanie, before any party guests arrive.

But that would be taking over, and I'm unwilling to lose this one.





1 comment:

  1. Holy festive phalluses, Batman!

    (Am I allowed to use that word in your comment section? Your first comment, as a matter of fact?)

    ReplyDelete