Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cool Songs to Play at a Wake

I was listening to Melissa Etheridge and Joan Osborne's duet of Bring Me Some Water recently and the wacky thought, "This would make a cool song to play at a wake!" popped into my head.
I decided to post that on my Facebook page and invited others to suggest songs that they would want at a wake (either their own or someone else's).
The responses were broad and interesting:

Sara, a 40 yr old cellist wrote, "I want the song, "Who Wants to Live Forever?" from the movie "Highlander" at my funeral.
Seriously, I played the Bach "Air on a G String" at a funeral and it was lovely. I've also always wanted "Por Una Cabeza" (it was in "True Lies", "Scent of a Woman", and one other movie...) at my funeral. It's a tango arrangement my string quartet has and I still love it every time I play it. Oh, one more - "Ashokan Farewell", I think it was used in a Civil War series that was on TV. It brings tears to my eyes to this day. (Do you want tears? I do...)"

Bob, a 45 yr old liberal heathen chemist wrote, "Hah! I've already thought about this! Oingo Boingo: No One Lives Forever and Goodbye, Goodbye. Janet Jackson: Together Again. Depeche Mode: Enjoy the Silence."

Melinda, a 40 yr old homeschooling mom and Cha-Cha Guide wrote,
"Upbeat: Annie Lennox - Little Bird
Dark & twisted (but oh so much fun!): Rob Zombie - Living Dead Girl
Sad & depressing: Mad World - Gary Jules"

Elizabeth, 18 yr old student and Target slave wrote, "Some Bone Thugs-n-Harmony. Zombie - Cranberries. Everybody Dance Now.. by I don't know who."

Dana, 38 yr old mom and nurse wrote, "Blue Oyster Cult's Don't Fear the Reaper, Rush's Fly By Night, BOC's Burning For You, Golden Earring's Twilight Zone, Rob Zombie's Dragula!!! and for fun, Enter the Haggis- Donald, Where's Your Troosers. That's fit for any wake!"

Paige and Arden, 13 and 12 yr old homeschooled teens wrote, "Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead, from Wizard of Oz. Ha-Ha You're Dead, by Green Day. Highway to Hell, by AC/DC. Simple, by Katy Perry. Eleanor Rigby, by the Beatles."

Ron, 42 yr old project manager wrote, "Anthem, by Rush."

...Which is actually appropriate, because I always told him the only way he could play Geddy Lee's screechy voice around me was over my dead body.


No comments:

Post a Comment