Wednesday, March 31, 2010

People Can Now Insult My Children Properly!

"Your mother wears combat boots!"
I've wanted a pair of Doc Martens for a long time, but could never afford them.
All the kids today see Doc Martens and think "90's", but they go back a lot farther than that!
Around 1950, 80% of the sales of Doc Martens were to women over 40 yrs old.
It was on April 1st, 1960, the first Doc Martens were sold in the UK. 50 years later, they've been popular with just about every youth subculture along the way- skinheads, punkers, grungers, and eventually MTV-watching teens stuck in the suburbs trying desperately to make a statement about who they'd be if only they weren't, you know... stuck in the suburbs (a la Angela Chase in My So-Called Life).

Sixty years after their invention, we come full circle- this 40 year old woman wants a pair. They go with lots of different kinds of outfits, and they last forever. So while I'm saving up for a pair of my own, I came across a pair of patent leather combat-style knock-offs...
I call them Knoc Martens.


No comments:

Post a Comment