Friday, February 6, 2009

Bearly Edible Trail Mix


I bought this trail mix at Gabe's several days ago. It was an impulse check-out line purchase. I didn't read it very closely, because I was planning to put it in a care package to a college kid. College kids will eat anything, so I buy according to price.

The next day, I got a phone call from the Sam's store telling me that the Kashi granola bars I had recently purchased were being recalled, and that it was important to not consume them, and to return them to the store for a full refund.
While listening to the message, I went through waves of horror to humor.
You see, I had already mailed the deadly granola bars to the same college kid, in a previous care package, and you better believe they had all been eaten!

(Conscientious mom that I am, I forwarded the warning on to him, anyway.)

But it made me very cautious about sending questionable food to teens! Maybe Gabe's food was a bad idea right now?
I decided to hang on to the trail mix, and maybe bake stuff at home that I know is contaminated with Paige spit, but little else.

Today I got the trail mix out and decided to feed it to my kids.
At that point, I actually looked at the package more closely.
The box reads, "Teddy Grahams Trail Mix... Bears and Cheese"-

That's right, I said "Bears and Cheese".

It contains: Honey Graham-flavored Teddy Grahams, pretzels, raisins, and cheese nips. This is what it looked like out of the box:



Upon closer inspection, we realized that there were a lot of deformed, defective, and just plain gimpy Teddy Grahams in the box. I doubt any of these Teddies would be good in a three-legged sack race!


How did "Bears and Cheese" taste? Fair nasty, if you ask me!
But there wasn't a raisin or gimpy bear left in the box by the time the kids were done, and my seven-year-old even drew me a request to pick up more at the store.



If we live that long, maybe I'll buy an extra box to send in that care package!

No comments:

Post a Comment