Tuesday, February 10, 2009

No, Joan Jett May Not Be Ladylike, But She Still Kicks Ass



Original Bad Reputation video, released 1981

In 1981, I bought this album. I did not know who Joan Jett was, or what kind of music it was, but the photo held my attention. The woman in that picture looked tough, wore a lot of makeup, and she had a guitar. I took it home and was not disappointed.
Songs like
"Wooly Bully", "Shout", and "You Don't Own Me" were songs I already knew from my parents' oldies collection.
Check out this Punk version of Shout in 1980



Joan Jett's punk spin on these familiar songs made them fun. "Bad Reputation", and my favorite "Do You Wanna Touch Me" just plain rocked.
Admittedly, this album became a touchstone for friendships- m
any of my friends were bothered by the footage they saw, her hair stuck to her face with sweat, eyeliner smudged, and the way she performed with so much enthusiasm.
Even the album's title
Bad Reputation seemed ominous.
My friend Kelly once remarked, "She just doesn't seem very ladylike, to me. I'm almost kind of afraid of her."


At age 50, Joan Jett is still performing, and still kicks ass.

Bad Reputation Stockton, CA 2008

2 comments:

  1. I saw Joan Jett in concert at Shea Stadium, opening for The Police. (Yes, I'm that old!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw her in Clarksburg at the Armory back in the late 80s (I think 1989). It was a GREAT concert, especially since it was such a small venue.

    ReplyDelete