Monday, February 2, 2009

Hazards of Hard-Tack

I decided to make another batch of lollipops, but the recipe I have makes only 15 at a time. I wanted to double that, and pour the other half of the candy mixture onto a greased cookie sheet and make hard-tack.
I even used wooden sticks, this time, instead of plastic. I thought I'd thought of everything.
When it came time to pour the molten candy lava into the molds, I was immediately reminded that wood floats. As I poured, the sticks rose above the liquid, and refused to sink down into the liquid candy. I dipped, I twirled, I even held them into place for a few seconds, but they kept bobbing to the surface.
Each time that happened, a gap was created, and lollipop goo ran out along the groove for the stick. Soon, my fingers were burned and the sticks were covered in the goo, as well.
I would have grabbed my camera, but I was afraid I would have been unable to put it back down again!
I left the lollipops for a moment to pour the other half of the mixture onto the cookie sheet. Now, all the websites tell you to line the cookie sheet with foil, first, and grease that, so I did. As I poured the candy mixture onto the cookie sheet, it looked good. I thought it would all be okay. I waited five minutes to score the sheet of candy, but it was still soupy. I waited another five minutes. By now, it should be completely set up, but it was still goopy.
I began to get nervous, and brushed my hair off my forehead. I now had purple, grape-flavored sticky goo on my face, in my hair, and all over the counter.
What had I done wrong?
I looked back over the ingredients and the recipe. I'd followed the directions exactly!
I put the cookie sheet of grape-flavored goo into the freezer, to speed things along.
The SuperBowl kick-off was in an hour, and I didn't want to still be wrestling with candy goo at that time.
Even after ten minutes in the freezer, my hard-tack was less than hard.
I got online to see if I could salvage it in any way, and learned more than I ever wanted to know about pulling taffy, which was apparently what I'd just made!
I greased my hands, and began 'pulling' it, the way we did when we were kids. It made long, stringy ropes, but as soon as I stopped working with it, it became a liquid again.
So I added powdered sugar, to thicken it up a bit.
My accidental taffy became very stiff, and started sticking to everything, including my hands, my clothes, the cookie sheet, and the greased foil. As I worked with it, it began tear pieces of the foil up with it. I now had a huge glob of taffy-like goo, with small pieces of aluminum foil mixed in.
Introducing Lisa Taffy with real foil pieces in every bite! Feels great on fillings!
I had no choice but to throw it all away, and wash down the counters three times. What ever came of the lollipops in the molds? I stashed them in the freezer, to gnaw on later.

I searched all over the internet for the answer to what went wrong, and on page after page, they say to never make a double batch. They say it will go horribly wrong if you try. Worlds will collide, chaos will ensue.

I'm a believer!

But all is right with the world:
Steelers 27 ... Cardinals 23

1 comment:

  1. This was a great blog...and got even better when you mentioned the STEELERS!!!! I am making hard tack today, but I am going to take your advise and not make a double batch!!
    Thanks for the interesting and well written blog!

    ReplyDelete