Friday, May 29, 2009

Alpacas, Seven Per Acre, Right?



The Learning Out Loud group visited an Alpaca Farm yesterday, and since then, I've been trying to talk myself out of buying baby alpacas, while at the same time reading everything on the internet about owning them.
The recommended herd size is seven per acre, which means I would fence off two separate acres, and then move my (up to seven) alpacas to the other field every three weeks.
I need a barn. And a reliable watering system. And a place to store hay for the winter.
And to be smacked upside the head with a clue-by-four!

They are so damn cute-




but surely there's a downside to owning a couple alpacas?


Well, that's just fertilizer for the garden! Because with all that fertilizer, I'd want to start one!





And if I get a few alpacas, I'll need a great pyrenees to go with them...


Once Paige met this dog, Molly, she did not leave Paige's side the rest of the time we were there.







No comments:

Post a Comment