Monday, May 18, 2009

Sa-rainy-sota


We got to the pool for a little while before the Death Clouds showed up.

It finally stopped storming and there was a mad dash for the beach. The teens were vegging on the sofa and I stayed behind to get dinner ready for everyone.
Since it was Buffy Night at the Staublys, we had 'stake' for dinner, salad, baked potatoes, and 'cookie dough' for dessert.
We used multiple microwaves to make all the potatoes, which meant running plates of potatoes between houses.
The teens got to eat first because they were starving. Then the crowd came back from the beach and inhaled the rest. After everyone had eaten, we started Once More, With Feeling. The kids sang along to every song, and most of the script.
After Once More, With Feeling we watched Tabula Rasa for good measure, all the kids singing "Goodbye to You", at the end.
While watching Buffy, I was torn between putting on my pj's, and putting on my running shoes.
I went into the bedroom and put on my pj's, and as I watched the second episode of Buffy, I knew I would be changing into my exercise clothes.
Ron went to bed, and I headed out into the night.
Many of the roads are well-lit. Some of the roads had a string of several lights that were out. In between, it was very dark, and the tropical plants looked threatening. Hey, it was 2am, and I've watched a lot of movies!
As I walked a lap around Woodland Hall, I saw a security car parked by the building. It was running, but no one was in it. Strange.
I made another lap, and the car really started creeping me out. Where was the driver?
On the next lap, Erica, Steve and Tegan had arrived, and I helped bring their luggage in. When we entered the house, Dane Cook was on the tv, screaming about ejaculation. Joey, Sadie, and Aaron were crashed on Erica's sofa. Pip was asleep in the bed. I looked frantically for the remote to turn off the tv, but couldn't find it. I started feeling on the tv for an off button, but it didn't have one. I tried feeling around the sleeping teens for the dropped remote, but didn't come up with it. Tegan eventually unplugged the tv from the wall.
Ahhhh!
Back to my walk... As I came around Woodland again, the car was still sitting there, empty, but now the headlights were on. That was disturbing. I walked far away from it and kept going around. The next lap, the car was gone. I had enough adrenaline by that point to run, and I did.
Of course, if you run, something will chase you.
As I passed in front of Woodland Hall, I distinctly heard the sound of footsteps behind me. I stopped and turned, to face whomever was chasing me. There was nothing there.
As I started running again, I realized I was hearing my footsteps echoing off the side of the building.
Sheesh! I was really creeping myself out!
I made another lap, and as I came around, and I heard my footsteps echo again. I thought, "Wouldn't it be funny if I only thought I was hearing my own footsteps, and I was really being chased?"
Enough.
I knew I was just being paranoid, but I couldn't shake the feeling and so I went back to the house, and sat in the rocking chair. Maggie came up on the porch and we talked for a while. We heard the "thwack! thwack! thwack!" of someone running by the house.
"What the hell was that?!" I said.
"It wasn't Elizabeth. She can't run that fast."
Turns out, when she's really scared, she can.
It was almost 5am, so we decided to go to bed.
Right after I closed my eyes, I got a text from Maggie, "Go out on your porch."
What? Why? I closed my eyes.
The phone rang. It was Maggie.
"There are people out here, with spotlights, looking for something. They are looking in between the houses, and everything.... right where you were running."

Today, it has rained all day. It hasn't stopped the kids from going to the pool, and people are content to hang out and listen to music and graze on the food. They like to pick up the overstuffed Would You Rather book that's always on the table.
I hope to get a good game of 'Imagine If' going later on.

I made a huge pot of soup, but Maggie and I have both decided to want to have liquor for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment