Friday, August 28, 2009

The Costs Of Being Computer Stupid

I visited a new blog recently http://topofthelearningcurve.blogspot.com/ and read

"xkcd has a new comic up regarding tech support."
So I checked it out, and loved it. When I attempted to print it for folks even more computer-stupid than I, I ran into trouble. I had the choice of two printers with the exact same name. I chose one, and was told to insert a disc of some-sort, something about a driver?
(mayday, mayday!)
So I chose the other one. And was told that the printer I chose wasn't online, or in the network, and to choose a different one.
I tried saving the comic in a different program, and print from there, but instead of printing it, it was saved as a "cute pdf file".
Awww! Well, yes, it's adorable. How the hell do I change it again?
I changed the settings and (finally) printed the flow chart... over several sheets, in landscape, an orientation to which I have never set my printer!
I was so frustrated, and yet laughing so hard at the irony of having so much trouble printing out a flow chart that is basically making fun of computer-stupid people, that I gave up.
(You actually think I was going to ask for help printing that? My poor ego could fit in my contact lens case, at that point!)

Another thing I read in this blog was:
"If you don't want to be on the lower end of the learning curve make sure you download Google Chrome. I've found that it leaves both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer dead in the water."
Well, I sure as hell don't want to be on the lower end of the curve, so I clicked the link and began downloading Google Chrome (wetf that is), blindly agreeing to terms and services and privacy policies I didn't even pretend to read.
Normally, I won't sign a school field trip permission form without scrutinizing it.
But I'm amazed how, because of my computer-stupidity, I will bow to peer (using the term loosely, here) pressure.
I rarely question the instructions "they" give. I just nod my head, and left and right click as they tell me. Fortunately, my collective "they" does not appear to have an evil streak that gets acted upon. And I've found that when I've downloaded programs and files in the past that the tools are helpful and easy to use.

But if "they" ever wanted to really mess with me, it would be too easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment